November 22, 2010

A Caricature Study of The Rolling Stones

Tonight's project was a caricature study of The Rolling Stones. These guys are great caricature subjects. Every one of them has a load of character. They all have really interesting features begging to be exaggerated. I consider this a mild caricature. I typically exaggerate a little more and put the head on a smaller body, but since I was using the existing bodies from the source pic, I tamed it just a bit. I've wanted to do these guys for a long time but hesitated because I thought it would be an enormous amount of work but it wasn't bad at all. I completed it in one evening. They were a lot of fun and I'll have to do more of them in the future. This manipulation was inspired by Sebastian Kruger's caricature works of the Stones. He became quite attached to the group and did numerous caricatures and paintings of them especially Keith Richards. His works range from super realism to extreme caricatures and usually on a huge scale. I can't do justice to them like Kruger. His paintings of The Stones are amazing. Check out the quick video at the end of this post. It will give a pretty good overview of the work he did with the Stones. By the way, he hasn't stopped.

This is the source pic I used: Photographer Mark Seliger
These guys were really fun to do and a great learning experience. Practice, practice, practice. I'm determined to get good at this. I read an interesting quote today that kind of sums it up, getting good at something I mean. I don't know who it's by but I thought it was really cool and answeres the question that a lot of people have about whether or not they can achieve a certain goal. "The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" That says a lot because I believe anyone can achive thier particular goal if they have enough passion for it and are willing to go as far as it takes to reach it. Well, time to call it a day. I hope you enjoyed.



Check this video out:











Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!