November 22, 2011

California 90420 DVD Wrap Commission - 1st Draft

Tonight I'm posting the first draft of a DVD wrap design concept for the movie California 90420 by CatchPhrase Entertainment and New Coast Productions out of California. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the poster I was initially commissioned to do. It was simple on a white background because it was so huge and they didn't provide any source images at the size required to create a custom background at that print size. This project is a little more fun because I can create backgrounds from smaller images. I'm not much of a graphic designer so this is a bit out of my element as far as type setting and all but this is my attempt with the limited recourses I have, namely fonts. This is just the first conceptual comp and will change considerably before completion but I just wanted to show what I started with and how it will evolve over time with the clients' input and added source material. Sometimes I have to just put something together to get the client thinking and deciding on what they really want, so this was a very quick mock-up. I'll be working on the final product tomorrow and with any luck, have it posted the next day.

Just for kicks, I'm posting the movie trailer below as well as a little info on the movie premiere dates and locations. Enjoy!

Directed by one of the guys that brought you the comedy hit, "Waiting...", comes the story of 4:20 Somethings; learning, leading, striving and thriving in California's semi-legalized marijuana culture.

California 90420 will be premiering on the east coast November 4th and 5th at the Asheville Cinema Festival in North Carolina.  (www.ashevillecinemafestival.com)

The west coast premiere will be in Los Angeles on November 19th.  If you are interested in attending this private screening, go to www.facebook.com/California90420.










 Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!