October 14, 2017

Remembering my Dad on His Birthday

Today I'm remembering my Dad on his birthday. Malvin R. Pike born October 14th, 1919. He would have been 98 years old today. I always said my dad would live to be 100. He was a strong man, always fit. Born a poor share cropper from a very large family, he had to grow up fast. He quit school to work the farm in the 6th grade and later finished his education while working at Exxon. He served bravely in WWII and was wounded 4 times. Of course, they didn't count shrapnel holes as wounds back then. Four purple hearts,  two bronze stars and numerous other accommodations, he was on the first wave of Higgins boats to land on Utah Beach on D-Day, June 6th 1944. After the war ended, he started work at Exxon where he remained until he retired. He married my Mom, Mary Matherne Pike shortly after returning from the war and had six kids. I was the last of the six. Below are a few more pictures of he and my mom.

Happy Birthday Daddy!











Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!